Years add wisdom, difficulties build strength, love moves mountains, tears nourish growth, dreams reveal purpose, character buries superficiality...Truth IS.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

"What you do for the least of these, you do unto me."



It is the day after Good Friday and the day prior to Easter Sunday. This is probably the most important day on the Christian calendar. For me, it has probably been the most memorable period of my life. I don't know if it has anything to do with a certain space in time, dates on a calendar, though my propensity is to believe it probably doesn't. I instead believe that there are no accidents and everything that is meant to happen, just happens...right on time, regardless of it's place on any of our "time-keeping mechanisms." I incorporated this song by Jason Mraz, as I have heard it play on Sirius Radio at work quite a bit lately, and every time I hear it, it strikes me, commands my attention, and I quietly sit down (as it always seems to play during a time when there is no one else in the room but me), I listen, and it stirs my heart, speaks my soul, and is a very beautiful tribute to fate and destiny...and our responsibility as a spirit having a human experience to reach out to our brothers and sisters and create unity of purpose with them....PEACE, LOVE, SANCTUARY. Although the video attached to this, in the end shows a couple coming together...I believe it to show just one aspect of this message...but the GLOBAL message is in the stars reflected in the girls eyes. One by one, we reach out to touch a multitude.

I have had so many priceless and wonderful things culminate in my life lately--all of which just sort of hit all at once, but unlike chaos...these "all at once" happenings bring with them understanding and peace. They awaken compassion, kindness, and appreciation to the point of no measure.

The first thing I would like to share with you is how I found myself awakening between 3-4 a.m. very frequently, seemingly in mid-conversation, or with vivid thoughts in my head or poignant words on my tongue. My first thought was "I think I am going crazy", but deeper within, I knew something bigger and more purposeful than that was happening. I also have found that I write in the morning...in the quiet, when I am alone, with no threat of disruption. I find it very hard to go to work, come home, and sit down at my computer to write. It has to be the first thing I do each day, or it doesn't get done. I've always called the morning "my time" and what flows from my hands to the computer screen is effortless, as if it is writing itself, and this is how I know it is not my ego that is driving. I have often said that if I feel I am reaching for something to say or concentrating too much on a point to convey...it is not coming from the proper source, and I will walk away. I KNOW and FEEL the difference. Just recently, I had been exposed to some of the work of a great poet named Rumi. This quote is going to wrap up this first message I share with you today..."The morning breeze has secrets to tell you--do not go back to sleep."~Rumi. You see, I am NOT going crazy. I am tapping into the "creative source", the Creator's energy.

Now yesterday, because of the immensity of self-realization I have experienced lately and the interconnectedness I have been feeling with EVERYTHING, I had thoughts of wanting to do something for the needy in my community--maybe sponsor a meal at the restaurant I work for (which I would pay for) for the people who regularly visit the local soup kitchen. I felt as if I would like to "treat" them to a nice restaurant atmosphere with their families, serve them, and make a special occasion of it for them. It was a thought among many of how I could reach out and give back. At work last night, an older single gentleman came into the restaurant. He appeared a bit disheveled and his personal appearance was unkempt, and I noticed that he had some difficulty with expressing himself. In our brief conversation, it became VERY apparent to me that his greatest concern was the cost of his meal. After I had explained to him the cost of his meal, what was included in the price and what the price would be after tax, he ordered the meal. I then asked him if he would like something to drink. He said "I would love a cup of coffee...but, how much is it?" When I replied with the cost, he then said "Okay, just bring me a glass of water please." I felt such a pull to just BUY this man's meal for him...but I had in my mind that I could very well damage this man's dignity by jumping to the conclusion that he "needed my charity"...so I brought him instead...a hot cup of coffee with his water and said "This is on me..Happy Easter!" As the dining room got busier and I had acquired more tables, I would stop by, top off his coffee and exchange a few words with him. He said "Listen, I just want to let you know that I am going to go outside to have a cigarette BUT I will be right back to finish my meal...well, not RIGHT back, but I will be back" and because I was so busy, I didn't even make the connection to "a patron should not leave the establishment without first paying for his/her meal." and said "Okay." As I approached the waitress station, it hit me (yet another of my OWN conclusions)..."he is going to bolt and not pay for his meal at all." And then I immediately thought...well, if he does, I will pay for it FOR HIM, that's all. No big deal. I had already figured my "services" would be free and that there would be no tip involved and I didn't care about that. I felt led in some way to reach out to him without damaging his dignity...and this actually was the PERFECT scenario...or so I thought. He came back, sat down, finished his meal...just as he said he was going to. I picked up his dishes, cleared the mess from his table, poured him one last cup of fresh coffee and delivered his check to him...minus the charge for the coffee. I thanked him and wished him well. About 15 minutes later, I just happened to be in the dining room as he was approaching the register, so I cashed him out. I told him his total, he grabbed his wallet out of his pocket, opened it up, and inside was a WAD of cash...from which he plucked out a crispy $20 bill. Now his bill was $11.83..I gave him the $.27, 3 ones and a five. He gave me back the 3 ones, got into his wallet and gave me another one and wished me a good night and Happy Easter. SO MANY LESSONS in this encounter...the first of which is the very title of this post.

I could not help but walk away thinking...this was a test...a test of MY INTEGRITY...it HAD to be...and I think by all intent and purpose, I passed that test. Although, I learned some lessons about myself and my foolish nature to "think I know." Things are not always how they appear, but if I approach ANYTHING or ANYONE in unselfish kindness with consideration and respect for their dignity at the same time...it sort of erases the lines that are drawn by my nature to jump to "conclusions." So now, I don't know who or what I was dealing with--though this is the first thought in my mind: "Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing, some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as though you yourselves were suffering."~Hebrews 13:1-3.

My Easter message to you all. And this song...I dedicate to all of humanity. "I won't give up on US...even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you ALL MY LOVE...I'm still looking up."

All my love,
Raina

No comments:

Post a Comment