Years add wisdom, difficulties build strength, love moves mountains, tears nourish growth, dreams reveal purpose, character buries superficiality...Truth IS.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Whispers of the past fuel the bold voices of today.

Good morning everyone!

Another gloomy day here...we had a ton of rain yesterday (which I am not complaining about...and my lawn is So happy).  This morning, same gray skies, wind, and rain sprinkles here and there.  We were so spoiled by all of the sun, warm temperatures, and the time that kind of weather opens up for outdoor maintenance and improvement--but it was beginning to become quite dry.  Nature really pays no mind to our preference, or opinion but knows the inner workings, is aware of the need, and takes care of itself regardless.  Good example to follow!

Last night, I was privileged enough to see and speak with my favorite high-school teacher.  As you may guess, he was an English teacher.  Now, I would be remiss if I were to ramble on from here about our conversation without first giving you a little of my high-school history.  I was a rebellious and obstinate pain in the ass!  I seemed to always find fault with anyone else's reasoning as to how things should be done and why they were to be done that way.  Though I had immense potential, my high-school years were most marked by my ambivalence.  I wasn't a bad kid...just one who was searching.. and one who was not in any way intimidated to travel uncharted territory to find my own reasons.  I guess that really, from as far back as I can remember, I've had a problem with the institutionalization of things AND the rules that govern them.  I set out at a very young age to find MY place in it all...without regard to popular opinion or preference of others.  I will admit that my behavior in my teen years was a bit self-sabotaging at times and very manipulative at others, but all-in-all...I have no regrets.  I learned some hard lessons...but I learned them on my own and I knew as well that any retribution I suffered was at my own hand.  I can also attest that  it was NEVER the punishment or discipline of the higher-ups, administration, law, the adults in my life, or anything in the outer circle that ever taught me anything worth knowing.  It was all about what I searched for myself and found.

Now that I got some background outlined for you, I can get to the point of my post.

Senior year English:  English courses in my senior year in high school were broken into 10-week mini-courses--which I actually liked the idea of.  We were give a list of available English mini-courses--some of which included (to the best of my recollection, lol) Drama, Science Fiction, Children's Literature, etc...there were probably about 10 different ones to choose from.  Every quarter, we took a different mini.  I had taken my first mini-course from this particular teacher and I absolutely LOVED it.  I actually looked forward to going to class (which was somewhat of a miracle, if you were to ask the vice-principal, I guess).  In any event, I took 6 mini-courses my senior year instead of the just the mandatory 4.  I actually spent 2 class periods IN SCHOOL when I didn't HAVE TO.  So see...breaking the rules when you are searching for meaning isn't always a BAD thing!!



I give the credit to this man, who will remain nameless..as I have not asked his permission to use his name in this public forum.  To be honest, I remember sometimes even catching him on his free period and going in and just talking with him...as he had an open-door policy and I sensed a genuine desire to guide and mentor in him that went beyond the traditional classroom teaching "rules of thumb."  It was not so much the course material that led me to take 2 extra classes, but more his ability to make the course material interesting, intriguing, and applicable to life in general.   He had a way of engaging this need to seek  that is so innate and telling of my character without the imposition of all the regulatory commission.  In my eyes, he was real and he was the first example I remember having of life outside of the box and people outside of human condition.  I am not really sure, and I would probably argue that he has no idea of the impact his short-lived presence in my life had--but talking with him last night brought it all to the surface for me.

Our conversation (short version):
"Hi Mr. __________!"  "You don't remember me, do you?"
"Robin?" "How ARE you?"
Now, I am going to butt in here and say...it has been 30 years and how many classrooms full of students before and after my class year????  Remembering me and MY NAME??

"You were my favorite teacher in high school"  "I was such a pain in the ass back then."
"Oh no Robin, that is not how I remember you."
Side note:  If you were to ask anyone else...well, you wouldn't even need to ask...they would probably offer up all of the notorious crap I pulled and what an over-the-top, seemingly unmanageable shit I was!!



He shared this little tidbit of valuable information:  "I went into teaching because I actually liked and got along well with kids."  Like I said...this man was real--he was not a hat-wearer, a face-painter.  He was in a profession where he actually made provision for imagination and personal creativity without boundary, well-suited to who he was--which taught me the importance of DOING something representative of who you are instead of BEING represented by what you DO.

In the end, I don't remember a THING about the material he taught...but the lasting example he set I carry with me every day.

To everyone and anyone who has the ability to "choose the foolish to shame the wise"...just know, you've helped to nurture and unleash some of the greatest potential of your time.  You can be very proud of your contribution...though I think you would be all too humble to even acknowledge any part you may have played.


I would just like to let him know that this "kid" benefited greatly from the contribution he made to her life in that classroom and I find myself now seeking his example in the hearts of others...and when it is found, I call these people my closest and dearest friends.  Thank you for seeing past my outward display of ambivalence to my potential...and thank you also for enlightening me to the great expanse of possibility.  This is what you did for me...passing your classes was just minute detail!!


What the teacher is, is more important than what he teaches.  ~Karl Menninger

A truly special teacher is very wise, and sees tomorrow in every child's eyes.  ~Author Unknown

No one who achieves success does so without acknowledging the help of others.  The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.  ~Author Unknown

The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind.  ~Khalil Gibran

God Bless all the teachers who by opening the door of their classroom, invite all who enter...into their home.

Raina









No comments:

Post a Comment