Years add wisdom, difficulties build strength, love moves mountains, tears nourish growth, dreams reveal purpose, character buries superficiality...Truth IS.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Message

Good Morning Family!!

Just a quick stop here this morning to share with you, a beautiful prayer composition by Max Ehrmann (most known for his poem, Desiderata), that was recited at a memorial service that I attended yesterday.  Amid the deep sentiment a service such as this emotes in and of itself throughout all who attend, this poem, read at its conclusion, so deeply resonated within me that I felt every letter of every word of every stanza--the sentiment it conveyed completely overtook me.  I couldn't help as well, to feel that if I were ever so blessed to be so very intimately connected to this gift of prose as the author of it, I could have authored it myself.  It embodies a system of checks and balances bound to my innermost beliefs and therefore, sent my spirit tearfully melting out of my chair into the floor.  The message it contains is one suited so well to the traits of a most wholesome and humble character.  On this Easter Sunday, I would like to share it with all of you who come by to read.  May the sentiment of these words be that of your life's mission statement and may God bless and keep you on your journey.

A PRAYER
By Max Ehrmann

Let me do my work each day;
And if the darkened hours of despair overcome me,
May I not forget the strength that comforted me
In the desolation of other times.
May I still remember the bright hours that found me
Walking over the silent hills of my childhood,
Or dreaming on the margin of a quiet river,
When a light glowed within me,
And I promised my early God to have courage
Amid the tempests of the changing years.
Spare me from bitterness
And from the sharp passions of unguarded moments.
May I not forget that poverty and riches are of the spirit.
Though the world know me not,
May my thoughts and actions be such
As shall keep me friendly with myself.
Lift my eyes from the earth,
And let me not forget the uses of the stars.
Forbid that I should judge others,
Lest I condemn myself.
Let me not follow in the clamor of the world,
But walk calmly in my path.
Give me a few good friends who will love me for what I am;
And keep ever burning before my vagrant steps
The kindly light of hope.
And though age and infirmity overtake me,
And I come not within the sight of the castle of my dreams,
Teach me to be thankful for life,
And for the time's olden memories that are good and sweet;
And may the evening's twilight find me gentle still.


No comments:

Post a Comment