Years add wisdom, difficulties build strength, love moves mountains, tears nourish growth, dreams reveal purpose, character buries superficiality...Truth IS.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

The most valuable gifts are those given from the heart...

Good morning everyone!

I felt compelled to post this morning due to something special that happened to me last nite at work. I am SO emotional over this, it touched me SO deeply that I had to share it.

I had chance to meet last nite, two very special people. Though my encounter with them was brief and on a "professional level", the imprint they made on my heart is lasting.
From the beginning: I have lately had to change my manner of employment due to financial circumstances. Now, I have done what I am doing now before, but it had been SO many years in between that it was almost like "starting from scratch." Now I definitely have an outgoing, people-oriented personality, so that part of it came natural to me. However, the person I work for seems to "look" for mistakes, weakness, and makes no bones about letting you KNOW about them...and to date, I don't think I have ever heard a "positive comment" from this person to any of the employees there...it is always "what you need to do different, better", etc. Now this person, I am sure looks at this as "constructive" but after so much, it literally turns "destructive." You begin to feel that you cannot do anything right...EVER...and then the attitude begins to switch to "why do I even bother giving this person 110% when NONE of what I do WELL is ever recognized?" This seems to be a recurring theme in my life as a whole...one of which ALMOST makes you look at yourself and begin to believe that you are somehow defective. I KNOW better; however, and realize that I just seem to surround myself with people who build their self-esteem on control...that's all. But it still doesn't tame that "sting" of the constant negative banter...it does begin to beat you down.

Now last nite, I had an older couple come in whom I served. The lady was very petite, and spoke with a deep, classy southern draw. Her husband; however, did not. Now as I was back and forth to their table, we would engage in conversation. I spoke to the lady (in my best rendition of her accent) and said "Well, my, my, aren't you just a darlin' little southern belle" to which she smiled replied "Yes ma'am, Savannah Georgia, born and raised." Throughout the evening in our conversations, I learned that her husband was a native Western New Yorker but that they lived in Georgia and were here on a visit. I watched them toast each other with the wine they had ordered and saw very clearly the love in their eyes for one another...I was enamored by this couple.

When they had finished their meal, I boxed up for them what they could not finish, delivered their check, thanked them, and wished them a wonderful evening, a pleasant visit here, and a safe journey back home. The gentleman handed me the check with his money, said "you have been such a pleasure to talk with" and replied back "I enjoyed your company as well." I took the check/money to the register, cashed them out and noticed there was quite a large sum of change, so I returned it to the table. He looked up at me and said "Oh no darlin' that is for you." I teared up as I graciously, but hesitatntly accepted it and thanked them. When he spoke to me, he had a sort of "santa twinkle" in his eye...don't laugh...that is the truth...I NOTICE these things. Not sayin' he IS "santa"..(lol), just saying there was a spirit of understanding within him that spoke to me through his eyes.

As they got up to leave, I again wished them well, thanked them...and the little lady turned around and said "What is your name?"..I told her and asked their names. She repeated it and said to me "Ya know, I was tellin' my husband...'that girl is so beautiful and kind, she MUST have a pretty name.'" I gotta tell ya...I could barely hold it together at that point.

There are TIMES when you feel so UNRECOGNIZED, so OVERLOOKED, so ALONE...and then BAM...something like this happens JUST to let you KNOW you are valuable, you are recognized, and you are deserving.

THANK YOU Gretchen and Tom. Though my encounter with you was so very brief, how you made me FEEL will remain with me forever. I am so sad that I will probably never ever see you again but feel SO BLESSED that I was at the right place at the right time to feel back the kindness and love I always strive to give. You don't know how long I have waited for just this kind of affirmation...I am deeply touched by your kindness and your ability to SEE me. God bless you.

This quote below could very well be the reason I am so emotional over this encounter, I have no room to store this blessing...so it pours out from my heart in the form of tears and words on a website...

Malachi 3:10 “Bring the whole tithe to the storehouses, that there may be food in my house. ‘Test me in this,’ says the Lord Almighty, ‘and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.‘”

The lesson I learned is this: No matter how much someone else doesn't appreciate you, your efforts, your beliefs, your work ethic or the heart that lies "beneath" all of them, ALWAYS remain true to them even when you believe it would be easier to become what they believe OF you. Someone will come along who will recognize you AND appreciate that they have been fortunate enough to share a space in time with you...if only for a moment. Strength is built by "adding to", not taking away.

Much Love to my new friends... <3 xoxoxoxox <3 ME :)

No comments:

Post a Comment