Years add wisdom, difficulties build strength, love moves mountains, tears nourish growth, dreams reveal purpose, character buries superficiality...Truth IS.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Time falls away...but these small hours, these little wonders still remain..."

Good Morning!


What a beautiful morning it is! As I look outside my big picture window this morning, it has been raining (a lot) and there is a soft, almost transparent layer of fog hovering over the landscape..and with the leaves changing, it almost looks like the picture of a serene bog out there. The sun doesn't always have to shine to consider a day beautiful...now does it??

I have made the MOST out of the last couple of days...have set aside some time for myself to do those things that needed to be done, but did them as if I WANTED to do them. It's all in the attitude people!! I organized those places that only the people who live here can see (that's been a long time comin'), I dug out all my fall decorations and adorned my home, inside and out with it's "Welcome Autumn" attire, made some of my family's very favorite soup, and baked up some fudge brownies with peanut butter chips!! Oh my! When I came down the stairs this morning to make my coffee, the house STILL smelled of all the wonderful aromas of cooking yesterday and when I got on FB, there was a little note of appreciation there to the "Italian Wedding Soup Fairy"...as I had left a serving for two with two slices of fresh Italian bread on the porch of a hard-working (and helpful) friend. I don't think my day could start out any more wonderful. I am truly blessed!! I cannot get my mind to stop fast-forwarding to Thanksgiving! LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!! Although, I shall not wish one single day away in doing so---I just look forward with a sense of happy anticipation.

There is something to be said for "tradition." I believe that it helps create a lasting bond between you and those you share these said "traditions" with. Though, sometimes, I think it gets a bad wrap! There are those who will argue that tradition is a "refusal to except change"...and to that I say...REALLY? Not so much. I guess it would depend upon which type of tradition we are talking about, I guess. Like "traditional" ROLES, absolutely..I could agree with THAT argument. But family-shared, or heart-held tradition...nah! I get SO much joy out of decorating my home for fall...it is such a simple, yet profoundly important thing for me to do. It makes me smile...I do it in celebration of my favorite season. AND, you can have all the other holidays, but THANKSGIVING is my baby! It is one of the least commercialized holidays...and it brings with it special memories with my family (and anyone else who wants to join...always room for one, two, or 6 more!!) I have photos from Thanksgivings past and there is an image or two of BURSTING laughter in every one of them!
I enjoy throwing the meal together and feeding everyone (as this has become one of the ways I LOVE people), falling into the customary (yet temporary) tryptophan "coma", and then awakening to gather around the kitchen (or dining room) table to play games and drink some beers (or your beverage of choice). There is football on the T.V. in the background, the guys with cell phones and/or computers at the ready tallying up their "fantasy points"...and beefing on each other! And I have LEARNED that even when you want the day to be MOST perfect, your sweet potato souffle (that you slaved tirelessly over) will BLOW up, your squash will explode, etc. True story! BUT...it doesn't ever dampen the reason for the season! FAMILY..LOVE..and GIVING.
As I write this morning, the sun is beginning to make it's appearance through the fog...so I guess we get the best of both worlds this fine morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment