Years add wisdom, difficulties build strength, love moves mountains, tears nourish growth, dreams reveal purpose, character buries superficiality...Truth IS.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Seasons....

Good morning everyone!

Rain, rain, and s'more rain! I absolutely love the way the air smells first thing in the morning tho...wish it were just a tad-bit warmer so I could comfortably sit on the porch with my morning ritual to ring in the new day. Tried it yesterday...made it about 1/2 way through my cup of coffee and was freezin' my little tuppy off..so I came back inside...though this is something that I look forward to as the days progress to more seasonally-appropriate weather! I had the worst vertigo attack last night in the middle of the night...it actually woke me and then I had to lay there locked up in the same position for hours because any movement of my head whatsoever elicited such a terrible room spinning effect, it nauseated me and gave me the sweats...Gosh, I hate when that happens. I still feel slightly off-balance, but it is NOTHING like it was...thank GOD. But as I sit this morning and type, my entire body is aching and stiff from being in the same position all those hours. It's a little bit of a slow-go for me to be sure.

Well, my youngest daughter's senior prom was Saturday...she looked so beautiful! This was her first prom without a date...so she went with a couple of her girlfriends...and their chariot to the ball was a black stretch limo with all the cool lighting in the ceiling and the stocked bar (although they consumed sparkling grapejuice)...but it was a pretty classy way to end their "prom career." To top it off, she got queen! That brings the prom queen tally in this house up to 2 in total. I never went to a prom or a dance or ANY school function for that matter because the LAST place I wanted to be was the school when I DIDN'T have to be there!! Shit, I was hardly ever there when I was supposed to be!! Boy, what a rebel I was...my kids are in disbelief when I tell them of my trek down the trail of adolescence and young adulthood. And though they have a lot of the traits I now possess as a "seasoned adult", they are nothing like I was at their age....but this is a good thing...they have learned a lot of the things through my example that I had to learn all by myself the very hard way...so they are advanced and maybe have a little clearer of a start to their life on their own without all the tripping-up and redeeming. I'm sure they will have their own share of struggles...maybe even those I didn't, but I feel so fortunate to be the one who will be there for them just in case they do.

I watched the dynamic of my household with three and compare it with the dynamic of mine growing up that consisted of ME..by nearest sibling was 12 years older than I, so he left home when I was in first grade. I will tell you, I probably would have had 6 kids if time, sanity, and money would have allowed!! It is much better to have more than a single child..there is always someone to guide you...someone to feed off of, compete with, and someone close enough to your age who understands. The eldest has the toughest job...but he handled it well all things considered. I am very proud of my children and I had no REAL problems with them with any kind of rebellion really...I was pretty liberal with them, allowed them to make their own decisions, held them to an attainable standard in performance and behavior...and they pretty much did all the succeeding on their own. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot give your children self-esteem or self-respect...that's why it is called..well, you get the idea...BUT we can provide the right environment for that to happen all on its own....mostly through support.

Though it will be my last year of class-clowns, basketball legends, football centers, colorguard stars, softball catchers, honor society students, writer's awards, and prom queens...I can say that I as a mommy, have had a pretty good run...I've experienced my greatest joys as a human being just by the blessing bestowed upon me that enabled me to share space with these people and being referred to as "mom". A part of me is saddened to know that all of these things that were once part of my everday existence will now become mere memories, but there are milestones ahead and moments of joy and pride to come as I watch them begin this life I have so proudly and unregrettably prepared them for.

I salute the next generation and am excited to see the changes they bring to humanity...I believe great things are going to happen with this bunch of kids...they may even represent a turning point in our world...I can see this deep empathy for those less fortunate already at work in my own!! I think this is a trait that all in this generation share...they have been witness to the worst of it, I think...change gonna come!

Have a great day everyone and HUG THOSE BABIES!!

"And then I go to my brother and I say 'brother, help me please'..but he winds up knocking me back down on my knees. Oh there been times that I thought that I couldn't last for long, but now I think I'm able to carry on. It's been a long, a long time comin...but I KNOW a change gonna come, oh yes it will."~Sam Cooke.

No comments:

Post a Comment